When it comes to choosing a company to supply and install your window furnishings, always ensure they are reputable and come recommended by someone who knows their quality of workmanship and service, and they have plenty of 5 star reviews for you to refer to. Below are some helpful tips from the Blind Manufacturers Association of Australia (BMAA) and what you should know before signing up:
- Discuss your requirements with your supplier. Think about insulation, privacy and design. Ensure all specific details are documented in the quote.
- Check the length of product warranty. Consider if the company will realistically be able to support the warranty (see our blog post on realistic warranty timeframes).
- Check the company’s website and any consumer comments.
- Get two quotes and ensure that installation is included.
- Check the brand of the product being offered.
- Check the delivery timeframe for each product as they will vary.
- Be aware of your consumer rights. BMAA members will always support legitimate consumer rights.
- Check that your quote includes GST.
- Ensure your quote clearly lists the terms and conditions of the sale including the delivery timeframe, you should always sign off on the agreed quote and ensure you keep a copy.
- Never accept an unwritten quote.
- Never accept unrealistic prices or large discounts. They are usually false.
- Be wary of aggressive sales techniques. They inevitably hide a nasty surprise.
- Be careful about paying large deposits without proper written documentation.
- Check your payment obligations. Never pay 100% in advance. Pay a realistic deposit, no more than 50% is acceptable.
- Never deal with unregistered businesses.
- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.